The Department of Marine Biology
That theorizing should be united by experience in preparing sober scientific research and upgrading its applied aspects to serve the environmental, economic and social development, and that the University of Basra in general and the Center for Marine Sciences in particular should be a scientific source who offers his expertise and scientific capabilities to build and serve the community through the expertise of the scientific competencies in the department.
Achieving the goals of quality and academic accreditation through the completion of pure and applied scientific research in field of biology and marine and fresh aquatic environment, preparing researchers, developing their scientific and technical capabilities, developing human resources and developing scientific competencies to carry out strategic studies in the scientific and academic fields.
Achieving the objectives of the University of Basra and the Marine Sciences Center through:
- 1- Applying quality standards and academic accreditation in preparing pure and applied scientific research for all plant and animal organisms related to the reality and environment of aquatic organisms and natural resources and protect it.
- 2- Contribute to building and serving society by providing services of scientific research and scientific consultations for all state institutions and the private sector, diagnosing problems and needs and finding appropriate solutions by quality assurance at the level of scientific, administrative and advisory.
- 3- Studying biodiversity in the Iraqi marine environment in the Arabian Gulf region and the inland regional waters affected by the tides.
- 4- Developing methods for culturing crustaceans, especially commercial shrimp, and finding ways to grow live and industrial food, and methods of prevention and treatment of diseases spread in those farms.
- 5- Development of environmental and applied studies and record of new species for all plant and animal organisms.
- 6- Increasing of applied experiences and developing scientific and practical levels through holding conferences, workshop, and scientific seminars that contribute to increasing knowledge and spreading culture.
- 7- Development of human resources and increasing their efficiency by providing programs of continuous education and training, and dissemination science among the people.